Department Mission Statement – Believe, Achieve and Care
WJEC Hospitality & Catering – Key Stage 4
WJEC Level 1/2 Award in Hospitality and Catering enables learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of the Catering Industry and employment opportunities that exist in this sector. The Award is divided into two units:
- Unit 1 – The Hospitality and Catering Industry.
- Unit 2 – Hospitality and Catering in action.
Both Units have been designed so that knowledge, skills and understanding can be developed through tasks that have features of a real life working environment. The units require learners to develop a ‘plan, do, review’ concept of learning.
Learners will be introduced to a topic, then they will be required to review and recall their previous learning to help plan the task. Then carry out their planned activities and complete their learning with a review of their learning outcomes. This approach will enable learners to develop many skills, however the focus is independent learning alongside problem solving skills.
WJEC Level 1/2 Award in Hospitality and Catering is assessed using a combination of internal and external assessment.
Unit 1 – The purpose of this unit is for learners to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of the Catering and Hospitality Industry. This unit is assessed via an examination in Year 11. This unit will enable learners to;
- Understand the environment in which hospitality and catering providers operate.
- Understand how hospitality and catering provision operates.
- Understand how hospitality and catering provision meets hygiene and safety requirements.
- Know how food can cause ill health.
- Be able to propose a hospitality and catering provision to meet specific requirements.
Unit 2 – The purpose of this unit is for learners to safely plan, prepare, cook and present nutritional dishes. They will understand the importance of nutrition when planning meals, understand other factors when menu planning and show their skills when preparing and cooking their chosen dishes. This unit of work is carried out over 9 hours, of which 4 hours are practical work.
An example task would be;
- Propose 4 nutritional dishes for a Cafe/Coffee Shop.
- Plan for the production of two dishes that could be included on the menu.
- Prepare, cook and present the two dishes.
How work will be graded? L1 Pass, L2 Pass, L2 Merit, L2 Distinction, L2 Distinction*